Monday, October 6, 2008

My Bedroom Back

Yesterday I was the energizer bunny. I had loads of energy. Even at night when I really was exhausted my legs still wanted to keep moving. I had one of those "it can't go another minute" moments. I know I am supposed to take it easy, but sometimes it just can't be helped. We have a little apartment and have been sharing a room with our kids for about 9 months. We did this so we could use their bedroom as a kitchen rather than use the room we were using as a kitchen. Our previous kitchen was at the top of a long flight of communal stairs in our villa. It is now a storage/laundry room.

Anyways, there never really was enough room for the bunk beds in our room. Separating our beds was a set of wardrobes for privacy. I always had to squeeze one way or another to get by either to make the kids beds or open my closet. Nathan has been sick of it longer than I have, but yesterday was the last of my tolerance for the situation. I pushed, pulled, heaved and hoved. Now the kids live in the new kitchen/their old bedroom. I had been using about a third of the room as a school room, no longer. Their bunk beds are pushed up against the corner wall. Their closet is butted up against the foot of the bed. Then I strung a sheet to make a privacy curtain between the kitchen and their beds.

Our bedroom now feels enormous, even though I added two pieces of living room furniture, a desk and soft chair. The living room now hosts school. It feels a little larger since I removed the desk and chair.

Of course the entire house was trashed after the rearrange. Everything under a bed, on top of a wardrobe, and hiding elsewhere had to be shoveled up into the living room. I did manage to get it all cleaned and put away today. So for a few weeks at least I will feel like the house isn't crowding in on me.

It really was a fun project. Every once in a while a woman just needs to tear into the house and cause a little havoc.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Don't be heaving & hoving to hard sister! :0) Wish I were there to help you - it sounds like fun! I love to rearrange too...in fact, there may be some rearranging in around here in the near future! Take care & know that we love and miss you guys!