Friday, October 3, 2008

Reading Marathon

This week I hare reread the Little House on the Praire books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. (Minus one book I have lost) I have to admit, when I read these books I realize what a life of leisure I enjoy. I know they are childrens stories, but they hold a wealth of information about Pioneer and Homesteading life. I am amazed at the amount of work Pa and Ma Ingalls did each day to make sure the family had food and clothing. Once upon a time in my life my own mother worked long hard hours to do the laundry and put up food for the family, but those days are long gone.

What really impresses me the most is the family attitude toward work. Laura doesn't shirk an unpleasant task but meets it head on. They take joy in their work and go it with a cheerful attitude.

I have a long way to go to get up of the couch and dig into the messy house around me. If you have never read Laura Ingalls Wilder books, do so. They are delightfully written and charming tales from an era of American Histoy that really is foreign to us now.

One thing as I read I found very distrubing. Everyone pretty much hated the Indians. The prevailing attitude of the day regarded the phrase "the only good Indian is a dead one". How a society can reach that collective opinion about another group of people constantly amazes me. yet I know today the same types of statements are made around the world by various groups. Sad and distrubing is the words I have for such sentiment.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I would have to agree with you whole-heartedly about The Little House on the Prairie books. I hated to read until 5th grade when my teacher got me to read these books. I loved them then, and I still love them now. I have read them so many times I have about worn them out.

Have you read any of the other books off of this series? They have books about her mom, grandma, daughter, and I think great-grandma (but I'm not sure on that). There is a web site that has all of the names, www.littlehousebooks.com. I think I have read all of the books that they have come out with and really enjoy them. Though Martha would have to be my second favorite.

Jenny said...

Thanks Julie for the tip. I did not know there were other books about family members. I'll look up the website.

Anonymous said...

Jenny. You brought me back talking about Laura Ingalls. Makes a girl pretty nostaligic for the good old days. But remember, I dont think is girls really shirked our duties either. I get more grateful as the years go by that Mom and Dad tought us the value of a hard days work. Mom certainly had her plate full. We have come so far as a society and yet digress on a daily basis. So glad things are going well for you. Hello to Hannah and Ethan from us, especially from Uncle Chicken.

HeatherDawn said...

Had to get a dumb Google thingy, so I dont have to post anonymous. lol.
k, bye. oh, enjoying your room??